Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Trinidadian Beach Beauty

Of course I could not forget the beaches! One of the best parts about study abroad in Trinidad was going to the beach! We went to Maracas Bay almost every sunday, which also included eating Shark & Bake (Yum!). The beach was beautiful, and is located on the northern coast of Trinidad, nestled right into the mountains (at least I call them mountains!!). The waves were big and even though I couldn't bring my boogie board to Trinidad, the body surfing was great!

I also had the unique opportunity to witness a sea turtle lay its eggs! This is quite a rare thing to witness! We went out to the Matura Beach on the Atlantic coast in eastern Trinidad during the middle of the night, and not only were the stars incredible but we saw about 3-4 tutles lay their eggs. There are very few locations where this happens! It was awesome! We could only take pictures while the leatherback turtles are actually laying their eggs (during which they go into a state of trance), but I managed to snatch a few ;) Apart from the tourist beaches, a friend and I also got to go down to southern Trinidad to go to a beach near a local friend's house. It was a different experience being the minority, but I enjoyed it.

I will leave you with one of my favorite pictures capturing the amazing beauty of Trinidad's mountainous north coast. Trinidad was actually named after its 3 peninsulas which jet out from the coast, resembling a pitchfork, or the trinity.

No comments: