Thursday, December 28, 2006

Namibian Children

As the academic part of our trip was centered around human rights and development, we had the opportunity to visit many local Namibian agencies, including 2 orphanges. Many of us agree that these visits were some of the most impacting moments we had while in Namibia.

Many people would expect to meet children with frowns and scars of depression across their faces when visiting Africa. To my surprise, the way the ads they show on T.V. for starving children depict the children in these experiences is far from true. Even though some of these children were orphaned, HIV-positive, or malnourished, just to name a few, every single one of them was full of smiles and eager to share their love to us.

At each place we visited, I focused most of my attention with a particular child I felt I connected with. At the first home, this was a toddler boy, and at the second a primary school aged girl. I regret to say that I cannot remember either of their names, part of which is due to my inability to understand african languages, to my defense. Both of these children made a big impact on me, and I don't think I will forget either of them for years to come. I played football with them, played in the home's park, read to them, and even let them braid my hair, which I might say is a talent they develop at a young age.


Saying goodbye to the children was hard, as in the few hours we were there, many of them managed to get quite attached to us. The little girl I spent time with started crying, and telling me that she didn't have a mother. I was confused at what she meant by this, as if she wanted me to stay to look after her and give her love and attention, which is something she probably doesn't receive much from adults. I have hopes that one day she will open her heart to the love of Christ and realize that the love she is longing for is and can only be fullfilled by Him.

Spending time with these children inspired me to take advantage of the opporunities I have been blessed with, yearning to help improve the situations of others I meet, whether that may be a close friend at home, or a distant memory in Africa. The few hours with them taught me more than I've learned from hours on end in the classroom. As it was with most of the trip. Leaving Africa was hard, and leaving the sanctuary felt by being around the members of our group was even harder, but life isn't about always living where it's perfect. I'm still figuring that out, but I am so thankful I had the oppportunity to travel to Namibia and have such an amazing experience that will live with me forever.

No comments: